Roasted Beets with Herb Citrus Dressing
By: Jill Nussinow
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Cuisine: American
- Course: Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds red, gold or Chioggia beets, or a combination
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- salt and pepper
- juice of 1 orange
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley and basil or cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Trim the tops off the beets but leave the tails. Rub the beets with a little oil. Put in a baking dish with the 1/4 cup water. Cover the dish and put in the oven. Test for doneness by inserting a sharp knife after 30 minutes. They may take up to 1 hour to cook, depending on their size. When they are done, let them cool a bit, then peel them and cut them either into rounds, half-rounds or chunks. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the dressing ingredients – the orange juice through parsley. Dress the beets. Serve warm or chilled. You can also serve this over greens as a salad.