Roasted Chicken Thighs with Raspberry-Passion Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup water
- 10 bags raspberry tea
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon raspberry red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 chicken thighs, about 3-3 1/4 pounds
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- For the sauce: bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Remove from the heat, add the tea bags and let steep 10 minutes. Lightly squeeze tea bags and discard. Stir in the ketchup, sugar, vinegar, garlic powder and chili powder. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 15-16 minutes; remove from the heat.
- To make the chicken: combine the sugar, chili powder, cumin, ginger, salt and pepper in a bowl. Rub the mixture over the chicken thighs to coat. Place chicken, skin side up, in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast chicken 25 minutes. Brush the top of the chicken with some of the sauce and bake until a thermometer inserted into the thickest portion registers 165F, about 5 minutes longer. Serve chicken with remaining sauce on the side.