Roasted Sea Bass with Quick Kimchi
- 1 2-pound head of Napa cabbage
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Korean red pepper coarse powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 (2-2 1/2 pound) whole sea bass, such as Bronzino or Striped Bass, cleaned, head and tail on
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- For the kimchi, quarter the cabbage lengthwise then cut across into 2-inch pieces. Transfer to a bowl. Combine the salt and 6 cups of water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from the heat and let cool 3 minuets. Pour the mixture over the cabbage and let stand, stirring occasionally, until tender, 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F. Lightly oil an 11" x 17" Baking Sheet.
- While the cabbage soaks make the dressing. Combine the garlic, ginger, fish sauce and vinegar in a blender; puree. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the Korean red pepper powder and sugar. Drain the cabbage, rinse under cold water, drain thoroughly and squeeze out any excess water. Place cabbage in a clean bowl and stir in the dressing, scallions and sesame seeds. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Rinse the bass under cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Rub both fish, inside and out, with the sesame oil. Combine the lemon juice and fish sauce in a bowl. Rub the mixture over the inside and outside of the fish. Season with the pepper. Sprinkle one-third of the scallions onto the baking sheet and set the fish on top. Sprinkle one-third of the scallions into the cavities of the fish and then sprinkle the tops with the rest.
- Roast the bass until the skin is browned and the fish flakes easily with a fork, 22-24 minutes. Remove from the oven and filet fish before serving. Serve with the kimchi and lemon wedges.