- 1 navel orange
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 medium size blood oranges
- 2 pounds asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 (6-ounce each) salmon fillets
- Grate the peel of 1 navel orange to make 1 teaspoon zest. Place the zest in a small bowl. Juice the navel orange and add it to the zest along with the ginger, balsamic vinegar, white wine vinegar, and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Cut the tops and bottoms off of the blood oranges. With a knife, cut off all of the peel, so that no white pith remains. Cut the oranges cross-wise into 1/4-inch slices. Remove any seeds.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook until tender yet crisp, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Oil the salmon lightly. Heat a ridged grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Grill the salmon, skin side down, until golden and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the salmon, season with salt and pepper, and continue to cook until done, 2 to 3 additional minutes.
- Place each piece of salmon in the middle of a plate. Place the asparagus and orange slices around the salmon. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salmon, asparagus, and oranges, distributing evenly.