- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 (14.4-ounce) bag frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces white mushrooms, stems cut at the base of the cap
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups baby arugula
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil and the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sugar; cook, stirring occasionally until lightly browned, 6-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes longer; transfer to a bowl and reserve.
- Return the skillet to the stove and heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add the mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper; cook until the mushrooms are browned and tender, 7-8 minutes, turning occasionally. Stir in the reserved onions and cook 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, allow to cool 3 minutes, and stir in the arugula.