- 4 ounces udon noodles
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 12 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 2 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- 1/4 ounce dried wakame seaweed
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup red miso
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Cook udon noodles according to package directions; drain, rinse under cold water and drain again.
- Heat the canola and sesame oils in a 5-quart saucepan over medium-high. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 4-5 minutes. Stir in the ginger, garlic and scallions until fragrant and scallions wilt, about 1 minute. Add the cabbage and cook, stirring often, until wilted, 1-2 minutes. Stir in the seaweed and cook, stirring, 10 seconds. Add the broth and miso, stirring until miso dissolves, and bring just to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer 15 minutes. Add the tofu, return to a simmer and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Divide the noodles among the bowls then ladle in the hot soup; serve immediately.