Shredded Australian Lamb Shanks with Mushrooms and Polenta
By: Sally James
- 1/4 cup soft goat cheese or Parmesan
- 1/4 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup hot chicken stock
- 1/2 cup flour, for dusting
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard powder
- 6 large Australian lamb shanks, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 8 baby onions
- 1/2 pound small white mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
2 cups instant or regular Polenta, to serve
- Soak the mushrooms in the hot chicken stock for 10 minutes to release flavors.
- Combine the flour and mustard powder. Dredge the lamb shanks with enough of the mixture to coat and shake off the excess.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy based casserole and brown the shanks over a low heat on all sides. Add the garlic, onion and white mushrooms and cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, red wine and tomatoes and stir to combine. Cover and cook over a low heat for 2 hours or until meat easily falls from the bones. (You could also place in a 350°F oven and bake for 2-2 1/2 hours.)
- When meat is nearly cooked, prepare the polenta according to directions on packet. Stir through cheese and keep warm.
- Remove shanks from liquid and, when cool enough to handle, pull meat from the bones and shred with hands. Return shredded meat to the pan juices and reheat. Serve over the hot polenta and garnish with shredded basil.