Shrub Cooler Cocktail
- Yield: 1 drink
- Cuisine: American
- Course: Cocktail
- 1 pound plums
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 cardamom pods
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup white wine or champagne vinegar
Shrub Cooler Cocktail:
- 2 ounces gin, (Preferably Ford's, Sipsmith or Botanist, but any London-style gin will do)
- 1 1/2 ounces Plum Shrub
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice, (juice from 1/2 lemon)
- For the Plum Shrub: Clean, pit and quarter plums
- Heat an Anolon® Advanced 8.5-inch nonstick skillet and add cardamom pods, cloves and cinnamon. Continuously move the pan for 1 minute until the spices become warm and fragrant.
- Put plums, spices and water in a large Anolon® Advanced stockpot.
- Cook on low heat for 10 minutes and removed from heat.
- Place mixture in a plastic or glass container and cover with sugar. Let macerate for 36-48 hours until juices are released and the fruit is broken down. (You can stir a couple of times to help it along during the maceration process.)
- Once macerated, add the vinegars and finely strain. (You can use a hand blender to break up some of the fruit if there are still juicy chunks.) Once strained you can store for up to 6 months in the refrigerator
- For the Shrub Cooler Cocktail: Combine in shaker with ice and shake vigorously for 15 seconds.
- Strain into coupe (e.g., old fashioned champagne glass, or any fun, small glass, such as a martini glass).