Sourdough French Toast with Nectarine-Port Topping
For the Topping
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 cups sliced fresh nectarines , or 2 cups thawed frozen peaches
- 1 cup ruby port
- 1 cup unsweetened pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
For the French Toast
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4-6 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 8 slices sourdough bread, 1/2-inch thick
- To make the topping: melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When the foam subsides add the nectarines and cook, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is tender but still holds its shape, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Bring the port, pomegranate juice, and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves. Cook until mixture is syrupy enough to coat a spoon and is reduced to about scant 2/3 cup, about 20-22 minutes. Stir in the nectarines and cook 2 minutes; remove from the heat.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, almond extract, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F.
- Wipe out the skillet and return to the stove over medium heat. Melt 2 teaspoons of the butter. Dip three to four slices of bread in the egg mixture and add to the skillet. Cook until golden about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with remaining butter and bread slices. Serve warm topped with port mixture.