Spanish Meatballs with Roasted Vegetable Sauce
By: Ingrid Gangestad
- Course: Appetizer
- Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 red jalapeno peppers, havled and seeded
- 5 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 425°F. Arrange peppers and garlic in single layer on rimmed baking sheet; drizzle with olive oil and stir or toss with hands until vegetables are coated in oil. Roast 20 minutes or until softened and browned. Let cool 5 minutes.
- While vegetables are roasting, in large bowl, combine all meatball ingredients. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place on broiler pan. Turn oven to broil. Broil meatballs 4 to 5 inches from heat 10 minutes, turning once, until browned and internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- In bowl of food processor, blend roasted vegetables with paprika, tomato paste, sugar, salt and lemon juice; add 1 to 2 teaspoons water for a slightly thinner sauce, if desired. Keep warm.
- Serve each meatball with about 1 teaspoon sauce, or place meatballs and sauce in serving dish.