IngredientsFor the Cornmeal Chili Dusted Onions
- 1 large onion, peeled
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 dried hot pepper, like Habanero
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 24 ounces green beans, trimmed and washed
- For the onions: Thinly slice whole onion, either with a knife or a mandolin. Toss in a mixture of the cornmeal, flour and chili powder. Fry in about 4 inches of canola oil at 325F for around 3 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Remove from oil and reserve to the side.
- For the sauce: Sauté mushrooms and green pepper in olive oil until tender in a sauté pan. In a separate saucepan, whisk together the butter and flour over medium heat. Pour in milk, paprika, cumin, and salt. Add dried pepper and bay leaf and simmer until it thickens, for about 10 minutes.
- For green beans: steam over water for 6-8 minutes. Remove and add into pan with mushroom sauce. Place in oven-proof dish and top with onions. Bake for 10 minutes at 350F.