- 2 cups walnuts
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 pieces thick-cut bacon, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium sized shallots, minced
- 1 medium sized garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 1 pound baby spinach greens
- 2 medium sized pears, cored and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Make the glazed walnuts by placing the walnuts, maple syrup, salt and cinnamon in a large skillet and cooking over medium high heat until the maple syrup has reduced and nuts are coated and sticky, about 3 to 5 minutes. Pour the walnuts onto a baking sheet and spread apart (careful, it’s hot!) into a single layer. Let cool.
- Make the vinaigrette by cooking the bacon in a medium sized Anolon® Nouvelle Copper Stainless Steel skillet until crisp and the fat has rendered. Remove the bacon from the pan to a plate lined with paper towels. Leave the fat in the pan and add the olive oil, shallots, garlic and brown sugar to the pan and cook for 1 minutes over low heat, stirring frequently. Pour into a measuring cup or small bowl and stir in the balsamic vinegar. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble the salad by placing the spinach greens, pear slices, dried cranberries in the Anolon® salad bowl. Sprinkle the glazed walnuts on top and the crisp bacon. Drizzle and toss with the warm vinaigrette and serve immediately.
- Yield: 4-6 Servings
- Course: Salad