Spring Pea Soup
By: Brandy O'Neill
- Yield: 4-6 Servings
- Cuisine: American
- Course: Soup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (32-ounce) container chicken or vegetable stock
- 28 ounces frozen baby sweet peas
- 1/3 cup packed roughly chopped mint leaves
- Crème fraiche, optional
- In a large skillet set over medium heat add unsalted butter
- Once the butter is melted add leeks and sauté until soft, about 8 minutes. Add in minced garlic, thyme leaves, salt and pepper. Sauté for another minute or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Increase the heat to high and pour in chicken or vegetable stock. Bring to a slight boil and stir in frozen peas.
- Let the peas cook for 2 minutes, stir in mint leaves and remove pan from the heat.
- Add half the pea mixture to the container of a high-powered blender. Blend until smooth and pour into 3.5-quart saucepan. Puree remaining pea mixture following the same direction.
- Warm pea soup over medium low heat until hot.
- Enjoy plain or with a dollop of crème fraiche.