- 24-28 potato slider rolls
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 5 1/2 6 pound bone-in pork shoulder roast (Boston Butt), excess fat trimmed to 1/4-inch thickness
- 1 large hickory wood chunk, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (28-ounce) crushed tomatoes in thick puree
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- For the rub, combine the sugar, basil, oregano, salt and garlic powder in a small bowl. Evenly rub the mixture over the pork to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- Set up grill for medium-low indirect heat cooking (275°F- 300°F). Place an aluminum pan, half filled with water, on the charcoal grate under where the pork will be.
- Place the wood chunk on the lit charcoal. Set the pork, fat side up, on the grill grate over the aluminum pan and close the lid. Grill, adding enough charcoal to maintain temperature after each hour, until an instant read thermometer inserted into the center of the pork without touching the bone registers 160°F, about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Wrap the pork in a large sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil and return to the grill over indirect heat. Close the lid and cook until the internal temperature reaches 195°F about 1-2 hours longer. Remove from the grill and let rest in foil for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium nonstick saucepan over medium. Add the onion, garlic, basil and oregano; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20-22 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in salt and pepper.
- Unwrap the roast and if cool enough to handle, shred the meat, discarding any large pieces of fat. Transfer pork to a bowl and stir in the sauce until well mixed.
- Top slider rolls evenly with pork and sprinkle generously with shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- Yield: 12-14 Servings
- Cuisine: Italian
- Course: Italian