Steamed Mussels with White Wine and Garlic
Makes 4 appetizer or 2 entrée servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1/2 cup clam juice
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
- crusty bread , for serving
- Heat the oil in a 4-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the wine and clam juice; bring to a boil, stir in the parsley and cook 5 minutes. Add the butter and stir until melted.
- Add the mussels, cover the pot, and cook until mussels open, about 5 minutes. (Discard any closed shells). Serve immediately with crusty bread.