Sweet Corn and Fresh Oregano Fritters
12 to 16 fritters (4-6 Servings)
- 4 ears corn, white or yellow, or a mixture
- 1/4 yellow onion
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 egg
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Cut the kernels from the corn by holding an ear, base down, in a bowl and, with a sharp knife, cutting close to the cob in downward strokes.
- Using a grater, grate the onion. Using your hands, squeeze the onion as dry as you can.
- Put the corn and onion in a bowl, sprinkle with the flour, baking powder, half the salt and the pepper and 2 tablespoons of the oregano and mix. Add the egg and mix well.
- In an Anolon Nouvelle Copper Luxe Onyx Skillet, over medium high heat, pour in enough olive oil to film by a scant 1/4 inch.
- When it is hot, drop the corn mixture by heaping teaspoons into the oil, about 1-inch apart. Press down gently with the back of a wooden spoon and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Turn and fry the other side, about 1 minute.
- Remove to a paper-towel lined platter to drain. Repeat, adding more oil and reducing the heat if necessary. To serve, sprinkle with the remaining sea salt and oregano and serve hot or warm.