- 6 slices thick cut smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no salted added fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can no salt added black beans
- 1/2 cup quick cooking barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat a 6-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until browned and crisp, about 7-8 minute. Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to a plate covered with paper towel.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the saucepan and return to the stove over medium-high heat. Add the sweet potatoes, onions and jalapeño pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, oregano and ground chipotle; cook until fragrant, 15 seconds. Pour in the broth, tomatoes, beans and barley; reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the sweet potatoes are tender and the barley is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the bacon and salt; let stand 15 minutes before serving.