IngredientsSweet Potato Filling
- 3 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small dice
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly oil a 9-inch square-baking dish.
- Combine the sweet potatoes with enough water to cover by 2-inches in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are very tender, 12-15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, combine the cream, sugar, butter, vanilla extract, coconut extract, egg and salt in a bowl. Add mixture to the potatoes and beat with an electric mixer on medium until smooth. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- For the topping combine the flour, coconut flakes, oats, nuts and sugar in a bowl. Add the butter and work it into the flour mixture with your fingers until you can form it into clumps. Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake in the center of the oven, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover the casserole and bake until heated through and the top is browned, about 20-22 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.