Sweet and Spicy Rubbed and Grilled Watermelon Salad with Honey Lime Vinaigrette
By: Souffle Bombay
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Course: Appetizer
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper, (cayenne)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- a few dashes of black pepper
Honey Lime Vinaigrette:
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic, rice or honey vinegar
- feta cheese (or goat cheese)
- arugula or mixed greens
- pine nuts or sunflower seeds
- chopped parsley or cilantro
Optional add-ins include:
- thinly sliced red onion, scallions, yellow pepper, edamame, balsamic glaze, thinly sliced jalapenos
- Cut your watermelon into thick 1¼ to 1½ inch slices.
- Use a large biscuit cutter to cut 4 circular "watermelon steaks" from the center of each slice (I used a 3½ inch diameter fluted cutter).
- Cut up leftover watermelon and refrigerate for snacking.
- Make the rub by combining brown sugar, red pepper, chili powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Mix with your fingertips until incorporated.
- Make dressing in a mason jar and shake to emulsify, taste and adjust for your preference of sweetness and heat.
- Clean and oil your grill, heat to high. Once grill is hot carefully place watermelon steaks onto the grill. Allow to cook for 2 minutes or so, gently peek at the underside. Once you see grill marks, gently flip steaks over (I use silicone tongs for this).
- Once grill marks are achieved, remove the watermelon from the grill, place them atop arugula, sprinkle with cheese, pine nuts or sunflower seeds, vinaigrette and dressing and serve immediately.