Weekend Chili-Plum Glazed Sesame Short Ribs
- 1 cup plum jam
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup lower sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili-garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sake
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the jam, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, chili-garlic sauce and brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Heat the olive oil in a Nouvelle Copper Stainless Steel 3-Qt. Covered Sauté Pan over medium-high. Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Add half of the short ribs to the casserole and cook until browned, turning occasionally, 6-8 minutes. Transfer the meat to an Anolon Vesta 5-Qt. Round Cast Iron Braiser. Repeat with remaining short ribs.
- Pour off fat from the 3-quart casserole and reduce the heat to medium. Add the sesame oil, garlic, ginger and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to soften, 1-2 minutes. Pour in the sake and use a spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil and cook until the sake is almost evaporated and the mixture looks like wet sand. Pour in the jam mixture, bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, 3-4 minutes. Pour the mixture over the short ribs, cover the braiser and transfer to the oven. Cook ribs until they are very tender and fall off the bone easily, about 3 to 3 hours and 15 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter. Discard any fat that has accumulated on top of the sauce, then spoon the sauce over the ribs. Sprinkle with scallions and sesame seeds before serving.