- 1 (16-ounce) day old sourdough baguette, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 3 leeks, white and light green part only, chopped
- 12 ounces assorted wild mushrooms, sliced
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound kale, stems removed and chopped
- 2 ribs celery , chopped
- 1/2 cup Madeira wine
- 3 medium golden delicious apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 11x7-inch baking dish.
- Place bread cubes in a large bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium. Add the sausage and cook, breaking into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon, until cooked through and lightly browned, about 10-12 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to the bowl with the bread cubes.
- Return the skillet to the heat and add the leeks, mushrooms and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, 16-18 minutes. Add the kale and celery, stirring until kale wilts, and continue cooking 2 minutes. Pour in the madeira and cook, stirring often, until nearly evaporated, 1-2 minutes. Stir in the apples and sage and cook until apples are slightly softened, 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to the bowl with the bread and stir well. Combine the broth, eggs, salt and pepper and pour over bread mixture; stir well.
- Transfer stuffing to the prepared baking dish. Bake until the stuffing is cooked though and browned on top, 45-50 minutes.