Penne with Caramelized Pumpkin, Onion, Sage and Brown Butter
- 3 cups cubed pumpin or other winter squash, 1/2 inch
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped sage
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Lightly oil a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Combine the pumpkin, 2 teaspoons of the oil, sugar and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Arrange in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Roast the pumpkin, stirring occasionally, until browned and tender, 33-35 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Bring an Anolon Advanced Home Saucepan of salted water to a boil.
- Add the pasta to the water and cook according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 4 teaspoons oil in an Anolon Advanced Home Skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden, 8-9 minutes. Transfer onion mixture to the bowl with the pumpkin. Return skillet to the stove and reduce the heat to medium. Add the butter and swirl the pan until melted. Cook the butter until is has turned brown and has a nutty aroma, about 4 minutes. Stir in the sage and lemon juice; cook 30 seconds. Add the pumpkin mixture and cook, stirring, until hot, about 1 minute. Stir in the pasta and cook, tossing, until hot and well mixed. Season with salt and pepper.