- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 cup natural almonds
- 3 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Raisin-pecan or cranberry walnut loaf, cut into 24 slices
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 12 slices
- For the chicken, combine the broth, carrot, onion and celery in an Anolon® Advanced Umber Saute over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add the chicken, return to a simmer and cook 18-20 minutes, turning once, or until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F. Transfer to a plate and cool 10 minutes. Cut chicken crosswise into 24 slices.
- Meanwhile, for the pesto place the almonds in an Anolon® Advanced Umber small nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until lightly toasted, 4-6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cool 5 minutes.
- Combine the cooled almonds, arugula, basil, cheese, garlic, olive oil and salt in a food processor; puree and transfer to a bowl.
- Spread one side of each bread slice with the pesto. Place the bread slices, pesto side up and top 12 of them each with 2 slices of chicken and 1 slice of mozzarella. Top with the remaining bread slices, pesto side down. Cut each sandwich in half and arrange on serving platters. Can be made up to 2 hours ahead if covered with a damp paper towel and plastic wrap and stored in the refrigerator.