- 4 Russet potatoes, diced
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 6 ounces ham, diced
- 7 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 12 ounces asparagus, thinly sliced
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 cup garlic scape pesto, divided
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Garlic Scape Pesto:
- 4 ounces garlic scapes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- Combine the potatoes with the water and vinegar in a saucepot. Cover and bring to a boil, then remove the lid and cook for 5 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ham and cook, stirring often, until it is browned on all sides. Remove from the pan, leaving any rendered fat behind.
- Add four tablespoons of canola oil to the rendered fat, and add the potatoes. Stir so that the potatoes are well coated with oil. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring often so that the potatoes get browned on all edges. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove the potatoes from the pan and mix with the ham.
- Heat the remaining three tablespoons of oil in the skillet. Add the leeks and asparagus and sauté until tender and beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then mix with the ham and potatoes.
- Heat a small skillet over low heat. Whisk the eggs with the milk, and pour them into the skillet. Don’t disturb the pan until the eggs begin to solidify at the edges. Use a spatula to gently drag the eggs from the edge of the skillet towards the middle. Keep the eggs moving constantly until they are mostly set. Stir in 1/4 cup of the pesto as the eggs finish cooking.
- Toss the eggs with the rest of the hash and the remaining 1/4 cup of pesto. Serve hot.
- For the Pesto:
- Cut the scapes into 2-3” pieces and pulse in the bowl of a food processor until coarsely chopped.
- With the food processor running on low, stream in the olive oil until it is all incorporated. Add the remaining ingredients and process until well blended.