- 8 slices rye bread
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 12 slices cooked turkey, about 3/4 pound
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 cup sauerkraut, squeezed dry
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 sweet dill pickle, chopped
- For the dressing, combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce and pickle.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place 4 of the slices, butter side down, on a large sheet of waxed paper. Spread the 4 slices with half of the dressing then top each with 1 slice of the cheese, turkey, sauerkraut and remaining cheese slices. Spread the plain side of the remaining 4 bread slices with the remaining dressing. Place bread slices on top of each sandwich, butter side up.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium. Add two sandwiches and set a second skillet on top and press down to help flatten the sandwiches slightly. Cook until the bread on the bottom is golden, about 3-4 minutes. Turn sandwiches over, top with second skillet and cook until cheese has melted and the bread is golden, 3-4 minutes. Repeat with remaining sandwiches. Transfer hot sandwiches to a work surface and cut each in half to serve.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Cuisine: American
- Course: Lunch